Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Baby Orajel Warning

I just wanted to pass along a very scary story.  I heard this story from an EMT in December but wasn't sure if it was for real until I saw it in the newspaper.  There was a little 16 month old boy who, after taking two doses of baby orajel, was rushed to the ER.  He was turning grey/blue and not responding.  The anesthetic in the medicine (benzocaine) prevented the flow of oxygen in his blood.  He developed what the doctors call methemoglobinemia (where hemoglobin is changed into methemoglobin) which prevents oxygen from getting to tissues.  Thankfully his case was caught very early and he suffered no organ damage.  This condition, if left untreated, leads to death.  It is a rare reaction but I was just SHOCKED that there is no mention of this possible side effect happening on the label of the orajel.  So I felt that as a mom, it is my job to help get the word out to other moms that this could possibly be a dangerous medicine for your teething baby.  I don't use it on Moriah (it triggers her very sensitive gag reflex) and I will not be using it on Levi, since I now know what the possible danger could be.  I think I will just stick to my Hyland's teething tablets, thank you very much.   

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the Orajel warning and for the Hyland's recommendation. Got any other great recommendations? Hope you're feeling good!