Saturday, March 21, 2009

Levi's Story




Levi Thomas Dickenson arrived on Sunday morning, March 15, 2009 at 2:38 AM. He was 8 lbs .5 oz and 21 inches long.

Here’s the scoop on the day leading up to labor, labor and delivery, and how we are adjusting so far. We drove about an hour away on Saturday to go to a guitar store and baby store. While Zack and my dad were rocking it out at Guitar Center, my mom, Moriah and I went walking at a mall. Moriah was obviously not feeling well. During lunch she refused to eat and was running a fever. We were already there so we went to get a double stroller, the last remaining item on our “baby” list. Then we took Moriah to Urgent Care and discovered she had an ear infection. Poor baby!

After dinner, which for some reason I told my mom I needed chicken and rice (something hearty to get me through labor, should it start), we were giving Moriah a bath and I told Zack I was having contractions that hurt. He asked me to time them.  So at 7:30 PM I started timing them. They were coming every 10 minutes or so, but that has happened before, so I just went about my night. My parents, Zack and I were playing cards when they seemed to be getting closer and stronger. At about 9:30 I called my doula and let her know that we were in early labor. At about 11 my contractions jumped from 8-10 minutes apart to 3 minutes apart and I figured I should get a shower and get to the birth center. By the time we got ready and left it was 12:30 AM and we arrived at the birth center at 1:00 AM. Levi was determined to come quickly and arrived at 2:38 AM. The total God thing was that I was group B strep positive and was supposed to have antibiotics for 4 hours before birth.  Because he wanted out so quickly, I only had them for an hour and a half.  Thankfully, Levi was born in his bag of waters so he was protected from infection anyway! What an amazing God we have! I couldn’t have asked for a better birth environment and for better support from Zack and my doula, Jen.  Zack was WONDERFUL at coaching and encouraging me through everything. I can’t say how thankful I am for my husband.

Since we have been home things are going relatively well. I can't express in words what a help it has been to have both my mom and Zack home right now.  Moriah has been extra whiny (who wouldn’t be with her teething, ear infection, Nana visiting, and a new baby turning her world upside down) but she LOVES Levi. She wants to snuggle him and be near him. She even said today when he was crying for him to “Sh, sh, shhh.” I think she just isn’t getting why Nana and Daddy are taking care of her and Mommy is always feeding this little baby. I can't pick her up for the first two weeks and for the first couple days I slept a lot!  She is struggling with the change in me, not the presence of Levi.  She has been really extra sweet with her baby dolls, too.  She has tried feeding them and she even tried changing Levi's diaper for us today!  As always, she keeps us laughing and on our toes.  I know she is going to be a great big sister. 

Levi is doing very well according to the pediatrician.  He is jaundice, though, so we have to have him on the biliblanket unless he is nursing or being changed.  We are hoping that he can come off the blanket Sunday night and then at his appointment Monday we will find out if his jaundice is better.  He has been so chilled for everything.  He isn't getting held a ton because he has to be on the blanket, but he doesn't seem to mind.  He just eats and snuggles while we burp him, then goes back to sleep on his blanket.  I will say, he is a great eater!  He already weighs 8 lbs 7 oz!  I can't believe how much he has gained.  Moriah was two months old before she weighed that much.  He is a little miracle and blessing, I love him so much already! God is so good.  

If you are interested you can see more pictures here. 

For now, we are bonding as a family and trying to get sleep, so my blogging might be slow in coming till we get the hang of being a family of four.  Thank you all for your prayers and encouragement.    

5 comments:

  1. He is absolutely precious! Congratulations on such a beautiful baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful, God glorifying birth! He looks like such a sweet package and I'd love to get my hands on him!!
    Enjoy your mom and rest while you can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I'm SO glad you had such a great birth experience! I'm really looking forward to meeting Levi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! He is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATULATIOUS! He's adorable! Life with two is crazy, but soooo so mu`ch fun :)

    ReplyDelete