Monday, August 11, 2008

To Stay or Not to Stay

As I mentioned in my last post we have a few "options" to consider as we await the arrival of our baby.  As of right now, Zack is set to get out of the military March 3rd and the baby is due March 13th.  Our plan up until about a month ago, was to move to FL in February and live with my parents till Zack got settled into a job and we found a house.  This plan was just perfect for me because it is my dream to own my own home.  If you have been reading my blog you know that my heart longs for a place to call my own, no more rent or third parties to deal with.  The problem with this plan is that we will lack insurance for the birth of the baby.  Zack's new job will not have insurance kick in for 90 days.  I am also not sure on how far along I can be before travel is forbidden, so that also means Moriah and I would have to move to FL before Zack, a thought that does not sound great but is doable.  We have the option, so I am told, to purchase our current insurance beyond our separation from the military.  I am not sure how much that costs or how that works but it is an option we can look into.

Another option is to just stay in the military.  In my heart I do not want this.  I long to be in FL with family but there are many benefits that stem from making the choice to stay in.  We can have all our babies for free, Zack can finish school for free (he has about 1 1/2 years left), and there are certain monetary incentives for reenlisting.  The down fall would be that we would with almost certainty move back to Korea.  That thought isn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be.  We still have many missionary and contractor friends who are still there.  

Our third and final option is to ask to extend and stay in the military two extra months.  As of right now, the Air Force is not accepting requests to extend unless it is in conjunction with a deployment.  If we were to some how get approved we could stay in the military till the baby is born and then move with a 1 month old and a 19 month old to FL.  This is basically our first plan, just set back by 2 months.

Ultimately we want to do what God would have us to do.  He is the one who will open and close doors as he sees fit.  We would love you to join us in praying over this situation.  I know that no matter what is the outcome we will be fine.  If we move to FL very pregnant and have to pay for the birth, God will provide the money and a job for Zack.  If we stay in the military, God will grant me grace to accept not living near family for a few more years.  If we are granted favor and allowed to extend for two months, God will make a way for us to move with two babies and provide a job for Zack.  No matter what happens we will be cared for because we have a God who hears us and feeds even the sparrows.  How much more will he provide for us?  It is my nature to worry, and facing the unknown has me worried.  I am specifically praying for wisdom on Zack's behalf, as he feels the weight of this decision far more than I do.  I am also praying for myself that I will not put pressure on him to just make a decision so I can start planning!  God's timing is not my own and we may not know what option we will be going with till December or January.  

So, there is my honesty and my feelings about our "options."  Thank you to those who will be joining us in prayer.  I will keep you posted on what God reveals to us as we trust him in this time of uncertainty.  

Side note, I leave for FL tomorrow!  Moriah and I are going to be gone for a week.  I can't wait to spend time with the family, but we will really miss Zack.  He is staying behind to work and continue providing for our family.  So this will be my last post until I get back.  Have a great week!    


  1. I will be praying for you! Josh and I have had to make some difficult decisions in the last year. We still currently do not have health insurance, which scares me with Micheala. And until things become better with the airlines, its going to be difficult for pilots to get jobs. Which means for us...either living with my parents longer (which is a blessing and tough at the same time), or taking a job that would take me away from my family here in Texas. I waited seven years to be here, and I know God has heard me. I continue to pray that he would hear the desires of my heart.
    Your family is in my prayers.

  2. I read your last three post today. Good updates. Congratulations on your new blessing. I will be praying God gives you a clear direction on what He has for you next.

  3. I haven't forgotten about you . . . hopefully, I can call soon.
    I bless you with the tremendous faith God has given me.